It´s fall

Take extra care of your dog

The weather becomes more humid, the rain hits the windows, and autumn slowly shows its arrival. But what should we be aware of as dog owners in this season? Read on.

Autumn Mushrooms, Chestnut Trees & Fallen Fruit The mushroom season officially starts around August/September. Especially puppies and young dogs have a tendency to nibble and taste whatever they find along their way. If your dog eats a mushroom or sniffs one, it can cause poisoning symptoms of varying severity and, in some cases, a lethal outcome. But which mushrooms are toxic to your dog?

In Denmark, there are approximately 30 poisonous mushrooms. The most poisonous mushrooms are the white, green, and red fly agarics. The green fly agaric is responsible for the majority of mushroom poisonings. However, a common webcap has caused a fatal poisoning in a small puppy.

Symptoms of mushroom poisoning Mild mushroom poisoning can cause symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, which are unpleasant but transient and not life-threatening. If the dog ingests one of the poisonous mushrooms, particularly the fly agaric, it becomes immediately very serious.

Fly agarics contain amatoxins that cause cell death in the liver and kidneys. The liver quickly absorbs the toxins from the blood, making this organ particularly vulnerable. Signs of organ failure occur with a slight delay of “1/2 – 1 day” and unfortunately always result in death. Contact a veterinarian immediately if you suspect that your puppy/dog has ingested a mushroom. Take a picture of the mushroom, so the veterinarian can identify which mushroom the dog has eaten.

Please share on social media to inform other dog owners about the poisonous mushrooms. We recommend using a long leash if your puppy or young dog tends to put everything in its mouth. Keep a close eye during the months of August and September when the risk is high.

Read our article: Dangerous dog food

 

insektbid hund sommer

Red Paws, Forest Walks, Autumn Dog Training Avoid red paws In autumn, there is more rain, and the wet weather can cause irritated and red paws. Constant moisture between the paw pads can develop into fungal infections. Fungi thrive in the damp and warm environment that autumn brings. Symptoms that your dog has a fungus, bacterial formation, or infection include:

❎️ Licking and biting the paws more than usual

❎️ Redness in the skin or fur around the paw pads

❎️ Sensitivity or discomfort when touching the paws

❎️ Foul smell from the paws

Therefore, remember to dry the paws thoroughly after a walk. There are shampoos and wet wipes that contain antifungal agents. Clean red areas in the paws with regular 0.02% chlorhexidine twice daily. If you are unsure whether it is a fungus, contact your veterinarian as it could also be allergy-related.

Would you like to join our two-hour group training? See available times for the Drive-In sessions.

chestnut

Chestnut Trees & Acorns

Chestnuts are fun, and children love making all sorts of funny creatures out of them. We decorate our homes with chestnut figurines and feel the autumn spirit indoors. Unfortunately, chestnuts are highly toxic to our four-legged friends. They contain a substance called aesculin, which causes diarrhea, vomiting, fever, seizures, and paralysis. Moreover, dogs can swallow them, and they can become lodged in the gastrointestinal tract, leading to an emergency surgery for the dog.

It is especially puppies and young dogs living with families with young children who find chestnuts interesting. When children play with them, it becomes an area of interest for puppies and young dogs to investigate the chestnuts. If you wish to have chestnut figurines as decorations in your home – keep them out of reach from your dog.

Acorns are also toxic to our dogs, so be aware if your dog eats acorns in the garden or during a walk. Acorns contain tannin, which is corrosive and causes inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract and can damage the kidneys and liver. Symptoms of poisoning include fatigue, reduced appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, and constipation.

Become a member of our online Universe: Watch videos on the 6 basic exercises.

nedfaldsfugter

Fallen Fruits

If your dog enjoys apples/plums, etc., you should be cautious as they can harm your dog. Many apples fall to the ground, attracting insects and other pests. There might be a little wasp enjoying itself because, towards the end of the season, these small yellow creatures are out collecting sugar for storage.

Additionally, slugs also love these fruits they come across. The slug can act as an intermediate host for both the French heartworm and the fox lungworm. It is important to remove fallen fruits as quickly as possible.

Be a part of creating the framework for your own dog training program: Book customized dog training sessions.

Brug for personlig hjælp med din hund?

Så læs mere om vores personlige løsninger nedenfor.

Online Hundetræning

Danmarks Største Online Hundetræning

28 dages hundetræning

Få en høflig hund

Telefoncoaching

Vejledning til dig og din hund

Skræddersyet Hundetræning

Vær med hele vejen

Privat undervisning

Få svar på dine spørgsmål

Shopping Basket